Sainsbury's has joined Asda in offering a sneak peek of the products that will be included in its Black Friday discount offerings later this week, including ebook readers, televisions and vacuum cleaners.
The supermarket will offer Black Friday discounts in 485 stores across the UK with a "when it's gone, it's gone" policy, meaning once stock has run out at the low price it will not be replenished. Eager shoppers are expected to be queuing very early on Friday 28 November to get what they want.
Discounts will be seen on 13 product ranges, including TVs, tablets, audio products, kitchen electricals and more. Nectar customers will receive information about the deals two days in advance, on 26 November, but products will not be sold at the Black Friday prices before 28 November.
Here are some of the headliners from Sainsbury's:
- Sony Audio Tank music system - was £149.99 - now £49.99 - save £100
- Amazon Kindle Touch - was £59 - now £39.99 - save £19.01
- Blaupunkt 40in LED television - was £299.99 - now £149.99 - save £150
- Dyson DC Animal vacuum cleaner - was £319.99 - now £159.99 - save £160
- Russell Hobbs Purifry - was £149.99 - now £49.99 - save £100
- Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me - was £99.99 - now £39.99 - save £60
Sainsbury's Black Friday sale starts at 1am at 24-hour stores on 28 November, although opening times at other branches will not be changed, and will run for three days or until stock runs out. Customers can only buy one of each discounted product.
Each of the 485 participating stores will have a bespoke area marked with Black Friday branding.
Black Friday began as a US tradition to celebrate the day after Thanksgiving and is used by retailers to kick off the Christmas shopping season with one-day-only discounts. In recent years, the day has been adopted by UK retailers and this year is expected to be the biggest ever, with supermarkets, department stores and online retailers such as Amazon all getting in on the act.