The celebrity arrivals at Cannes 2012 were full of surprises and style statements that wowed spectators. While the long gowns ruled the first two days of the festival, novelty costumes took over for the rest of the days. From mermaid gowns to traditional Indian saris, the red carpet at the Cannes was a wonderful display of fashion and newer trends.
The 65th edition of the festival kickstarted on 16 May. A look at the best-dressed red carpet arrivals of the festival:
1. Diane Kruger: Diane Kruger's billowy mint green custom-made Giambattista Valli gown made it to the top. The Cannes jury member stunned spectators walking the red carpet in her gown.
"One member of the jury this year is the stunning Kruger, who looked flawless last night in a mint coloured, floor sweeping gown -- a perfect summer colour," the Blush reported.
2. Cheryl Cole: British singer Cheryl Cole wore a white and red Stephane Rolland Couture gown on day four of Cannes 2012.
"The first time I saw the dress it made me take a gasp of air. I thought it was so beautiful and I loved that it was so chic, yet dramatic. I feel extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to wear it. It was like a work of art and surprisingly comfortable to wear," Cheryl told vogue.co.uk.
3. Jane Fonda: How can one forget Jane Fonda's illusionary black and white gown that she wore on day one at Cannes 2012?
Veteran actress Jane Fonda, who dazzled the crowd on the first day, defying her age to wear a stunning and body-fitting Atelier Versace outfit, wore a piece from the Stella McCartney 2012 London Evening collection. According to the Telegraph, the dress was an Ivory Stretch Cady Gloria creation that offered interesting optical illusions.
4. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: After so much speculation and rumours, Aishwarya wore a traditional Indian sari designed by Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla.
"The sari is off-white with chikankari work and antique gold embroidery. The churidar-kurtas are in beige and cream and classic Abu-Sandeep. Instead of choosing her usual dark colours, Ash has gone pastel this year," a source close to Aishwarya told The Times of India.
5. Kristen Stewart: If you saw Kristen Stewart on the red carpet with her novel pair of pants, it is hard to forget it ever. The lemon-yellow Balenciaga pants with a multicolour floral design and ankle zippers were worn with a white Juicy Couture tank top and a black Rebecca Minkoff jacket.
"Balenciaga has always stood out to me. Even when I first began to consider fashion and admittedly rarely knew the brand I was wearing, I always recognised and loved Balenciaga. The brand is just cool. That's the way it is. I feel drawn to it. It provokes on a number of levels. It isn't afraid or contrived. It hits a very cool balance, always," Stewart told reporters.