Chelsea have begun talks with Bayer Leverkusen over the sale of Andre Schurrle, the Bundesliga club have confirmed.
The Blues have been heavily linked with a move for Schurrle, with bids for the 22 year old having been rejected during the summer transfer window.
Schurrle has scored nine goals in 29 league games this season and is the regular in the German national team under Joachim Loew.
"Yes, I was in London and I have had discussions," sporting director Rudi Voller said. "There is nothing more to say, there is nothing decided yet."
Earlier in the week, Voller added: "Andre Schurrle is not the only player of interest. It is obvious to have a look at those proposals. We also did that last summer.
"At this point in time, there is so much said. There are many rumours. I would prefer not to be part of all this."
If confirmed, the move would a significant marker laid down by Chelsea, who haven't won the league titles since the 2009/10 season under Carlos Ancelotti and are expected to replace interim boss Rafa Benitez at the end of the campaign.
Schurrle would likely fit in within Chelsea's front three, currently occupied by Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Oscar, who have impressed behind Fernando Torres and Demba Ba this season.
Having won the Champions League last May, Chelsea became the first holders of the title to be knocked out at the group stage, before losing in the Club World Cup final, and the semi-final of both the League and FA Cup.
Their place in the top four is far from secure also despite a 3-0 win over Fulham on Wednesday, with Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Everton among the sides competing for a place in next season's premier club competition.