Kevin de Bruyne is poised to complete his move from Genk to Chelsea after the player arrived in London on Monday to undergo a medical.
The 20-year-old Belgium international will join the Blues on a five-year deal for a reported fee of £6.7m and will be loaned back to Genk for the remainder of the season.
When asked if De Bruyne had flown to London on Monday for a medical, a Genk spokesman told Sky Sports: "Yes, that is correct."
Last week, Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas admitted that the pursuit of De Bruyne was part of the club's transfer policy of targeting highly-rated youngsters.
"He was under the scrutiny of the club for some time; we've been following this player. [Romelu] Lukaku the same, and Petr Cech was the same when he arrived in 2004," Villas-Boas is quoted on Sky Sports.
"In the sense that it's the club policy for the future, it's the right thing [to buy him] and I'll do everything in my power for him to reach maximum potential.
"But it's down to the club in decision-making."
Earlier this month, the International Business Times UK revealed that De Bruyne would leave Belgium at the end of the season, after his agent confirmed his client was eager to move abroad.
Speaking to the IBTimes UK, de Bruyne's agent, Patrick De Coster, confirmed Chelsea had a bid for the left-sided midfielder rejected in the summer but revealed the player was almost certain to leave Genk at the end of the current campaign.
"Chelsea made an offer over the summer which Genk rejected," De Coster said.
We have made a promise with the club that [De Bruyne] will stay in Belgium until the end of the season but it is likely then that the player will leave Genk."
It is believed Chelsea rekindled their pursuit of De Bruyne after he impressed during Genk's Champions League group games between the teams.
The youngster, who has scored six goals in 14 appearances this season, can operate as either a left- or a right sided attacking midfielder and is a product of the Genk Academy.