The Jelly Bean mobile operating system can now be installed in a number of Android devices, thanks to a wide range of custom ROMs released by developers in the six weeks or so since Jelly Bean was launched. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 series, comprising models P6800, P6810 and LTE I815, now joins the list for the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) based Jelly Bean ROM.
Thanks to XDA senior member locerra, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 series can now benefit from the butter-smooth experience of the CM10-based Jelly Bean update, with performance enhancements and custom features for a complete, personalised Android experience.
Since the ROM is still under development, it may harbour a few bugs and certain features may not be fully functional. Here is the complete list of known issues, as cited by the developer:
- CM10 is in a primitive state, many features are still missing or do not work
- HDMI dongle does not work
- Some USB keyboards are not working
- I815: CDMA and LTE is not enabled
- I815: GPS does not work
- I815: Autobrightness is broken
Key Points to Note
- This procedure will erase all your apps, data and settings on the phone, excluding the contents in the SD card. IBTimes UK advises users to backup important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while performing the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
- It is necessary to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your tablet before proceeding with the ROM installation steps.
- The information provided in this guide is meant for reference purpose only and does not imply any warranty claims for your device or support issues arising out of using this Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk. Back up all your data before proceeding.
How to Install CyanogenMod 10 Based Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800/P6810/I815
Step 1: Download the latest version of the ROM from XDA Developers official thread (Download here).
Step 2: Download the Google Apps package here.
Step 3: Copy the downloaded zip files from step 1 and 2 to the SD card on the tablet.
Step 4: Switch off power of the tablet and boot into ClockworkMod recovery by performing a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up + Power keys together. Once the tablet turns on, release the power button but continue to hold Volume Up button until the tablet boots into ClockworkMod recovery.
Step 5: In the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select an option.
Step 6: Select wipe data/factory reset, then tap Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe is complete.
Step 7: Select install zip from sdcard, then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse and locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by clicking Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
Step 8: Once ROM is installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
Step 9: After Gapps has finished installing, select go back then tap reboot system now to boot up into CM10.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Galaxy Tab 7.7.
[Source: The Android Soul]