ebola
A mistake in a lab has led to a lab technician being exposed to the live Ebola virus.CDC/ Dr. Frederick A. Murphy

In yet another incident underlining the importance of safety protocols at virus research labs, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has acknowledged that a lab technician at an Atlanta facility may have been exposed to the Ebola virus when handling samples.

In a written statement, the CDC said that a small amount of material that contained the live virus was mistakenly transferred from one lab to another, reports Fox News.

The incident occurred due to a mix-up of two sets of vials in the laboratory -- one containing an active sample of the deadly virus and the other an inactive sample.

"I am troubled by this incident in our Ebola research laboratory in Atlanta," CDC Director Tom Frieden said.

"We are monitoring the health of one technician who could possibly have been exposed and I have directed that there be a full review of every aspect of the incident and that CDC take all necessary measures."

It was just in June that a few CDC workers were potentially exposed to anthrax after a lab failed to inactivate the dangerous bacteria before transferring it to another lab.

The following investigation had revealed a lack of safety protocols in handling dangerous biological materials stored in unlocked refrigerators.