Alejandro Burzaco
The homepage of the Interpol website, with Alejandro Burzaco top right.Reuters

One of the 14 ex-Fifa officials and associates indicted over the scandal, Alejandro Burzaco, has handed himself in to police in Italy.

Interpol had issued an alert requesting his arrest, according to BBC News. An Argentine judge ordered his arrest after he was named in the US indictment for racketeering conspiracy and corruption.

When US authorities raided a hotel in Zurich, Burzaco was not in his room but having an early breakfast when police acting on extradition requests from US authorities – and therefore managed to avoid arrest.

Burzaco, who also has Italian citizenship went voluntarily with his two lawyers to a police station in Borzano on Tuesday (9 June).

Giuseppe Tricarico, a police official in Bolzano, said Burzaco was in a jail cell pending a hearing that would confirm the arrest, which is the procedure in Italy. He said Burzaco had been "searched for across the world" after being named in the US indictment.

The US Department of Justice alleges that Mr Burzaco conspired to win and keep hold of lucrative media rights contracts from regional football federations by paying up to $110m (£72m) in bribes.

Burzaco was the president of Argentine sports marketing firm Torneos y Competencias. He was dismissed from the company on 3 June.

The company has denied any involvement in the alleged bribery. In a statement released on 27 May it said it regretted "being caught up in a case of this nature, which hurts its prestige and reputation forged over more than 30 years of hard work and professionalism".

Burzaco is understood to be entering witness protection after negotiating a deal with the FBI, according to Mirror Online, that will see him blow the whistle on illicit practises within The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).