Mayweather announced his next fight at the BET awards.Getty

Floyd Mayweather Jr has announced he will fight Marcos Maidana in an eagerly-anticipated rematch on 13 September.

The two clashed in Las Vegas in May this year where 30-year-old Maidana provided a stern examination of Mayweather's powers in a hard fought contest before the five weight world champion sealed his 46th career victory on points.

The 37-year-old has since confirmed another meeting is in place for later this year.

"September 13, back to business, Marcos Maidana v Floyd Mayweather Part II," Mayweather told Laten Media.

Following Mayweather's comments, Maidana confirmed talks over a rematch were underway, tweeting: "The rematch is being discussed. Respect to Floyd Mayweather, he is a man of his word. Yet only fists will do the talking in the ring."

Although confirmation of a second showdown with the Argentine was welcomed by the boxing community, Mayweather also dropped a teaser that will immediately spark speculation as to who his next opponent will be in 2015.

"Then in May, I'll have a big surprise for you," he added.

Amir Khan is expected to be firmly in contention for Mayweather's May fight after missing out this year.

Former two time world champion Khan was close to securing a meeting with the five weight world champion in May only to be overlooked in favour of Maidana. Khan eventually settled for a place on the undercard where he comfortably beat Luis Collazo to keep himself in contention for an opportunity to displace Mayweather at the summit of the welterweight division.

Speculation of a meeting between the two later in the year quickly mounted. However, Mayweather's reluctance to deviate from his May-September fight schedule derailed such hopes with Khan unable to train or compete during that period due to his Ramadan commitments.

The 27-year-old remains confident of securing a showdown with the best pound for pound fighter in the sport, however, and also has his eye on some of the other mainstays of the division.

Speaking on Ringside last month, Khan said: "We want to fight the big guys, the top names in boxing. The next time that I want to fight is around November or December. Ramadan is coming up so I am going to spend time at home and enjoy the month.

"I am looking at the likes of Marquez and Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather – they are the big names and that is where I belong fighting, the top guys. There are talks about Manny Pacquiao happening, maybe next."

Another possible scenario for Mayweather's May surprise is a long awaited meeting with Manny Pacquiao, albeit an unlikely one.

Mayweather's long-running dispute with the Filipino's promoter Top Rank and CEO Bob Arum has prevented any deal being struck in recent years. However, given that a long-awaited showdown with Pacquiao is perhaps the only stand-out fight that could possibly be deemed the 'big surprise' worthy of creating substantial fan interest, it is not beyond the realms of possibility.