Baltimore police
Baltimore police officers load a man into an ambulance at the scene of a shooting incident at the corner of West North Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue in West Baltimore, May 4, 2015. Police said that a gun carried by the man went off at the scene but that no police officers fired their weapons.REUTERS/Sait Serkan Gurbuz

Baltimore police denied a report by Fox News on 4 May that officers had shot a black man in the city. In response, the cable news network issued an apology, Reuters reported.

Network anchor Shepard Smith took to the air to apologise for the report. "On behalf of (reporter) Mike Tobin and the rest of our crew there, and the rest of us at Fox News, I'm very sorry for the error and glad we were able to correct it quickly," Smith said.

The network had reported that the unnamed man was shot as he ran from officers, according to Reuters. However, Baltimore police stated on Twitter that the shooting reports were "unfounded."

"The reports of a man being shot at North and Pennsylvania Ave are NOT true. Officers have arrested a man for a handgun at the location," police tweeted.

According to the Guardian US, Fox News began reporting that someone had been shot "multiple times by police" after reports of a firearm incident at the area came in as well as the police's tweet regarding a shooting at 2500 block of Marbourne Avenue.

However, as the Guardian noted, Melbourne is in the outer suburbs of the city, nearly five miles away from North and Pennsylvania.

Reports from the incident were scattered, with miscommunication and confusion reigning among spectators and reporters alike. The Guardian reported Russia Today reporter Manuel Rapalo said he heard "a gunshot" and saw a man being handcuffed. Meanwhile on social media, users shared images and videos of the alleged shooting.

Tensions have run high in Baltimore after violent protests following the funeral of Freddie Gray erupted in the city. According to Reuters, a citywide curfew imposed by Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blakes was lifted on 3 May. Rawlings-Blakes announced Maryland National Guard would begin to withdraw from the city in the next few days.