Samsung has rolled out a new Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) based Over-The-Air (OTA) software update for Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 users in Southeast Asian countries. The update, Android 4.1.2 I8160XXMF2, is originally meant for Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam. However, it can still be installed on any factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier) Galaxy Ace 2 with model number I8160.
The update is now available for download via OTA as well as through Samsung KIES in select countries. However, those who missed the OTA update notification and those residing outside the select countries can still install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide.
Android 4.1.2 I8160XXMF2 Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: Jun 14, 2013
Regions: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Download and install the correct USB drivers for Galaxy Ace 2 on computer
- Android 4.1.2 I8160XXMF2 OTA firmware is compatible with Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 model only. Attempting to install the firmware on any other variant may brick or permanently damage the device. Verify your device model number.
- Backup important data and settings on your phone before proceeding with firmware installation
- Ensure that your phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any particular carrier)
- Make sure the phone's battery is at least 80% charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation
- Enable USB Debugging modeon the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings >Applications> Development (if phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running on Android 4.2, then do the following:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- ODIN is designed to work in Windows OS only. Linux and Mac OS X users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on their computer.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 I8160XXMF2 Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy Ace 2
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Now extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the device in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon appears on screen. Then hit Power button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges is required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy Ace 2 to computer via USB cable, while the phone is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the phone's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I8160XXMF2 folder that you obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy Ace 2 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 I8160XXMF2 Jelly Bean OTA update. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Performing data wipe task will only erase your phone's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
[Source: Honai of Android]