Samsung has started pushing out the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update for Galaxy Ace 2 with model number I8160. The update is being released in phases and is expected to cover all regions soon.
Android version: 4.1.2 - Build JZO54K
Build date: 26 March, 2013
Supported regions: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and UK
Galaxy Ace 2 users who have already upgraded their handset with the official release and are looking for root method may follow our step-by-step guide. Users will also be able to install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on their devices. Both the root file as well as the CWM recovery file are released by XDA developer, Shaaan.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before proceeding, users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the requirements below.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 on the computer.
2) Ensure that USB Debugging Mode is enabled on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create backup of all data of the device. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP installed already then back up all data using the same since it create a complete image of the existing tablet set up.
4) The battery of the Galaxy Ace 2 should have above 80 per cent charge.
5) The device should be unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. However, users can regain the warranty by unrooting it later.
7) The root file and the CWM file work only on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 running on Android 4.1.2 XXMC8 Jelly Bean. Applying these methods to any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model Number.
Steps to install CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160
2) Plug in the USB cable to the phone to connect it with the computer. Then copy the downloaded CWM zip file to the external SD card of the phone
3) Unplug the USB cable from the phone and turn it off
4) Enter stock recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
5) Using the Volume keys navigate to 'apply update from external storage,' press the Power button to select it
6) Browse to the CWM zip file copied to the SD card. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation
7) Once the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select 'reboot system now' to reboot the phone
After Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 boots up successfully, the ClockworkMod recovery should have installed on the device. Following the tutorial below, users will be able to access root on their handsets.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 on Android 4.1.2 XXMC8 Jelly Bean
2) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable and then copy the downloaded root file to the external SD card of the phone
3) Disconnect the phone from the computer and switch it off
4) Place the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
5) Navigate to 'apply update from external storage' and press the Power button to select it
6) Locate the root zip file saved on the SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation
7) When the installation process is completed, return to the recovery menu and select 'reboot system now' to reboot the phone
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 running on Android 4.1.2 XXMC8 Jelly Bean is now rooted successfully with CWM Recovery installed on the device.
Click here for guide to install I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Ace 2
[Source: The Android Rom]