Unbranded Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160P (NFC version) recently received its first Jelly Bean update via OTA as well as Samsung KIES in Germany. The new official firmware from Samsung portrays the build number I8160PXXME1, and offers the latest Jelly Bean features including battery power saving option.
Although the firmware is reportedly stable, it has a few quirks such as inefficient RAM usage due to the bulky set of apps running in the system background and hence reduced performance. Nevertheless, all unused apps can be closed for a smoother yet faster Jelly Bean experience.
Non-German users who cannot wait for the official release from Samsung can install this firmware manually, using our step-by-step guide below.
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown while installing the firmware
- Back up important data and settings on the phone including contacts, messages, photos, videos and APN settings to avoid data loss during firmware installation
- A Windows computer is required for running ODIN flash tool. It will not run on MAC OS.
- Keep your phone's original USB cable handy for use
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Perform a Hard Reset on your phone, if you have plenty of third-party apps installed. This will ensure a trouble-free flashing experience.
- Quit Samsung KIES from the system tray, as it has known issues with ODIN flash tool and could corrupt the firmware during installation
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) before you proceed
- If "MD5 hash value is invalid" error appear in Odin message box, just re-download the official firmware
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXME1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160P (NFC)
Method 1: Desktop Odin for Windows PC
Step 2: Extract the downloaded zip files to a desired location on your desktop. The extracted folder should have a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
Step 5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon appears on the screen. Hit the Volume Up button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 6: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process. Right-click on ODIN and choose Run as administrator from context menu.
Step 7: Connect the phone to the computer with a USB cable. When the phone connects successfully, the ID: COM box turns Yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
Step 8: Choose the following files from I8160PXXME1 folder that you obtained in Step 2 in Odin, using respective buttons:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and choose the file named '.tar.md5'
- Click the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if file not found in extracted folder)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if the file is absent)
- Select the PIT checkbox, and choose the .pit file. (ignore if no such file is found)
Step 9: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting their checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox should be selected, only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 10: Verify Step 8 and Step 9 are done correctly. Then hit the START button in ODIN to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 11: Once the firmware installation completes, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. It is now safe to remove the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Your Galaxy Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160P is now running official Android 4.1.2 XXME1 Jelly Bean update. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware update.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 11, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now function. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing wiping function will erase data only on your phone's internal memory and not the SD card.
Method 2: Mobile ODIN for All (Windows, MAC or Linux)
Mac or Linux users, who do not own a Windows PC can still download and install this firmware using Mobile Odin. It works similar to desktop Odin, but the app will only work on a rooted Android device. Ensure that your Galaxy Ace 2 phone is rooted before you proceed.
- Download and Install Mobile ODIN Pro from Google Play Store
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXME1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160P (NFC) Using Mobile ODIN
- Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a .tar.md5 file. Copy that file to the root folder on your phone's internal or external SD card. Launch Mobile Odin and then tap on "Open File" option.
- Select the firmware file from where you copied earlier. Then confirm your selection and soon Mobile Odin will start installing the firmware to your device.
Once the firmware is installed, the phone will reboot automatically and boot-up into the newly installed firmware.
[Source: Android Jinn]