Samsung has rolled out another Over-The-Air (OTA) Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update, with build number I8160XXMF1, for the international version of Galaxy Ace 2. The new build is an unbranded version of firmware and originally for the users from Germany. However, users from supported regions can also install the update using Odin flashing tool.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: 3 June, 2013
Those who failed to receive the OTA update for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their handsets meet following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using recovery.
4) The Galaxy Ace 2 should have above 80% of battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The Galaxy device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) The I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160. Flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
Step-1: Download I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a file with .tar.md5 extension with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin3 v1.85 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the Odin zip file to get Odin3 v1.85.exe file and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy Ace 2 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Now place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while pressing the Power button. A warning screen will appear, now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Now run Odin3 v1.85.exe as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy Ace to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected an Added message will appear at the bottom left of Odin message box. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I8160XXMF1 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT file and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-9: In Odin, ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck the Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Finally click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Followed by this a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin indicating successful installation. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 should be now updated with I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware. To verify the new software running on the handset, head over to Settings>> About phone>> Firmware info. Re-configure the APN Settings to avoid data networks connection issues. Also, change the default language to your desired language by navigating to Settings>> Language and Text input.
[Source: Android Teen]