An official software update based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with build version I8160XXMF1, has been released for the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. The OTA update is originally for the users from Germany but those who are from firmware supported regions can also install the update using Odin.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: 3 June, 2013
Click here for our step-by-step guide to install I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update on Galaxy Ace 2.
Those who have already updated their devices with latest official build may follow our guide to root the same. The tutorial uses root file released by recognised XDA developer, Shaaan. One of the key features of the root package is, it does not increase the binary counter.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their handsets meet following requirements before rooting the official firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all the data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then back up data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy Ace 2 should have above 80% of battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. But users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting it later.
7) The root package is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160. Applying this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
Steps to root Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 on XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download root package for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to the computer
Step-2: Connect the Galaxy device to the computer using USB cable
Step-3: Now copy the downloaded root zip to the SD card of the phone
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-5: Boot the phone into stock recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Note: In the recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: Select apply update from external storage then locate the root zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone
Step-7: Select the root zip pressing the Power button and confirm installation
Step-8: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
As the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 boots up successfully, it should be rooted on XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware. To verify the root status of the device, install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
[Source: XDA Developer]