Samsung has just started rolling out the highly-anticipated Android 5.0.2 over-the-air (OTA) update for its first metal-clad Android smartphone, even as three major mobile carriers in South Korea have kicked off a simultaneous release for the update.
The update is currently available for download via Samsung KIES and OTA as well as manually through direct download links (see below).
Those who missed the OTA update notification or cannot for the official firmware release in their country or region can go ahead and install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
Some of the key features ported into the new Android 5.0.2 firmware include the revamped Material Design UI, improved battery life, enhanced notifications and superior system performance.
As the update is currently available only in South Korea, there is a good chance that the rollout for other parts of the globe will commence in the next few weeks.
Android 5.0.2 Lollipop G850SKSU2COD4 Firmware Details:
|Model name||GALAXY Alpha|
|Country||Korea (SK Telecom)|
|Build date||Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:59:20 +0000|
Key Points to Remember
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy Alphaon the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to enable connectivity with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your S4 LTE is having at least 80% battery charge. Otherwise, the device might inadvertently shut down during the installation process due to lack of enough battery charge, which in turn could brick the device.
- Ensure your Galaxy AlphaLTE GT-I9505 has been unlocked before you proceed.
- The phone will lose custom ROM and root access once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The Lollipop firmware build version I9505XXUHOB7 works with Galaxy AlphaLTE variant only. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop G850SKSU2COD4 stock firmware on Galaxy Alpha
Step-1:Extract the downloaded firmware zip via Winzip or WinRAR.
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3:Power off the Galaxy Alpha and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-4: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on Odin.exe and then right-click and choose Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-5: Connect the Galaxy Alpha to the PC via USB cable while it is still in Download mode. After some time Odin will detect the device and when the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This process might take some time.
Step-6: In Odin, select the firmware files extracted in step-1 in orderly manner.
Step-7: Enable or select Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is ticked.
Step-8:Verify everything above is done correctly and then hit the Start button in Odin
Step-9: The installation should now begin and it would take just a few minutes to complete. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the USB cable from the phone safely.
Android 5.0.2 G850SKSU2COD4 stock firmware is now installed and you can enjoy the latest Lollipop features on your Galaxy Alpha.