The Dual-SIM variant of Samsung Galaxy Grand dubbed as Galaxy Grand Duos bearing model number GT-I9082 was first shipped with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
The Galaxy Grand Duos users can now root their devices and install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on their devices. Having rooted the device users will be able to install any app that requires root permission and custom ROMs can be installed using the CWM recovery.
Those who wish to root and install CWM recovery on their Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos may follow our step-by-step guide. The tutorial uses CWM touch recovery file shared by senior XDA developer, chotu222 and SuperSU file by recognised XDA developer, chainfire. Head over to the development page to learn more about the release.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the phone, create a back-up. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy Grand Duos should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) Rooting the phone will void manufacturer's warranty. However, users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the device later on.
6) The CWM touch recovery file and the SuperSU file work only with Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082. Flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model number.
Files required to download
Download ClockworkMod Touch Recovery file [File name: CWM_gt_i9802.tar.md5]
Download the CWM flashable SuperUser file for root access to the computer. Then copy the downloaded zip file to either internal or external memory of the phone. But do not extract the zip
[File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-V1.25.zip]
Steps to install CWM recovery on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082
Step-1: Turn off the Galaxy Grand Duos. Then boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Home buttons together then hold the Power button for three seconds. A warning screen will appear. Now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-2: Open the Odin folder and launch Odin3 v3.04.exe
Step-3: Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. Wait for some time until Odin detects the phone. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then reinstall USB driver.
Step-4: In Odin, click the PDA button and select the CWM_gt_i9082.tar.md5 file
Step-5: Ensure that the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time check boxes are selected in Odin window
Step-6: Finally hit the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-7: Once the installation process is completed, a PASS message will appear under Odin indicating successful installation. The phone will then reboot automatically. Now unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082
Step-1: Switch off the phone and boot it into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Home buttons together and then hold the Power button. Keep pressing the three buttons until the screen of the phone turns up and Samsung logo blinks twice. Now release the Power button but keep the other two buttons pressed until a list of options in blue texts with black background with Android bot appears
Step-2: In the recovery mode, select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip and select it using the Power button. Then confirm installation by selecting Yes
Step-3: The installation process should begin now and would take few seconds to complete
Step-4: Once the installation process is completed, click on Go Back to return to the recovery menu and then select reboot system now to reboot the phone
The Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos will now reboot and a message saying Android is upgrading will appear while the device boots up. Open the app drawer of the phone and tap on SuperSU app and update the binary if prompted. Also, to verify the root status, install Root Checker app from Google play Store.
[Source: Droid Views]