The Galaxy Nexus I9250 is the latest entrant to join the Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Jelly Bean party with the release of AOKP Build 1 ROM for select Nexus devices including Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. The AOKP ROM is touted to be one of the most stable builds with minimal number of bugs, as it gets regular updates through its development stages. Other Android devices are also expected to get this final AOKP release very soon.
Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 1 Firmware Details
- General UI
- Custom boot animation
- Custom carrier label
- Statusbar brightness slider
- Recents RAM Bar & Kill All button
- Power menu options
- Customisable text color
- Volume wake & music controls
- Allow any kind & unlimited number of widgets (new)
- Navigation Bar
- Fully customisable NavBar (buttons, color, transparency, widgets, etc.)
- Menu arrow keys while typing (new)
- Customisable NavBarRing
- Battery indicator styles
- Clock styles
- Signal styles
- Statusbar transparency (new)
- Customisable Statusbar Toggles (new, based on Google's tiles)
- LED Control
- Custom Vibrations
- Sound Settings
- Less frequentnotificationsounds
- BT connect action
- Quiet Hours (CM)
- Disable safeheadsetvolume warning (new)
- Themes support (multi-user support still buggy, use at your own risk)
- NFC Polling modes
Key Points to Note
- AOKP Build 1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the international variant Galaxy Nexus I9250 model only. Attempting to install the ROM on incompatible devices may cause permanent hardware damage or brick the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone and ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge. It is recommended that you back up data using one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates full image of the phone setup.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy Nexus I9250 on the computer (download USB drivers)
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later). Otherwise go to Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Finally, if device is already running the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About tablet
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number option.
- Then repeatedly tap on Build Number for seven times (right after the third tap, you will see a dialogue box that says you are only four taps away from being a developer. Continue tapping four more times).
- The Developer Options is back under Settings and USB Debugging mode can now be enabled.
- Verify that the phone's bootloader is factory unlocked and the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based AOKP Build 1 ROM. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Based AOKP Build 1 ROM on Galaxy Nexus I9250
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Galaxy Nexus USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Without extracting, copy the Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Switch off the phone. Then press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device enters Bootloader mode.
Step 5 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Choose the Bootloader option and enter Recovery mode.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, perform full-data-wipe first. Then browse to Flash zip from SD card option and tap Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Hit the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2.1 ROM zip file and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once Google Apps is installed, hit Go Back and clickReboot System Now in Recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based AOKP Build 1 ROM is now successfully installed on the Galaxy Nexus I9250. Go to Settings > About Phone to confirm the firmware installed.
[Source: Team Android]