The Galaxy Note 7 replacement programme is now live for consumers across the UK. Samsung has said it will replace all Note 7 devices including original and replacement units, allowing consumers to exchange it with the Galaxy S7 series or get a full refund.
Samsung has advised users to create a back up of all important data on their Note 7 before replacing it. There are two ways to transfer content from the Note 7 to your new Galaxy phone; one through Smart Switch and SD card and the other option is via Smart Switch through Wi-Fi.
The set up is quite simple in both the processes and the data limit depends on the memory size of your new phone. The Smart Switch app makes it easier to transfer content including contacts, photos, videos, music and more. You can choose either of the methods accordingly. Check out the following steps to transfer data.
How to back up Galaxy Note 7 with Smart Switch and SD card
- Insert an SD card in your Note 7, if you don't have one. Launch Quick Panel then select Settings
- Scroll down all the way and select Cloud and accounts
- Select Smart Switch
- Select 'more options' (the three-dot icon) located at the top right corner of the screen
- You should see a list of options, choose Transfer via external storage
- On the next screen select Back up
- Select content you want to create a back up of then select Back up
- Select the contacts and apps you want to back up
- Select the time period for back up, whether it's All or for Last 30 days
- Wait for some time until the phone backs up. When the process is finished, you would be presented with a screen saying back up is Completed
- Now take the SD card from Note 7 and insert it into your new Galaxy phone. Open Quick Panel then select Settings
- Scroll down and select Cloud and accounts
- Select Smart Switch then More options menu
- Choose Transfer via external storage
- On the next screen choose Restore
- Choose which data you want to restore then select Restore
- Wait for a while for the process to complete
Once the phone is done with saving data, it will show you when your device has restored.
How to back up Galaxy Note 7 using Smart Switch and Wi-Fi
- Launch Quick Panel on your Note 7, select Settings
- Select Cloud and accounts then Samsung Cloud
- Turn on sync settings, also make sure that Wi-Fi in on. Select Backup my data
- Choose the data you want to save then choose Backup now
- On the new Galaxy device, open Quick panel and select Settings
- Select Cloud and account then Cloud and accounts
- Select Samsung Cloud
- Enable sync settings. Check the Wi-Fi is on
- In the end select the data you would like to restore. For this select Restore Now
Keep in mind that the time for back up depends on the amount of content you have saved. The SD card method takes from 10 minutes to an hour. The backup over Samsung Cloud also takes a longer time, depending on the speed of your connection.