Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 users can now enjoy the latest build (cm-10.1-20130616-NIGHTLY-n7100) of the popular CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) Nightly release that is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware. The latest CM10.1 Nightly ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release, which is designed to deliver better performance and stability than stock Android.
IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install Android 4.2.2 based latest CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM on Galaxy Note 2 N7100, courtesy of Droid Firmwares.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to Galaxy Note 2 N7100 model only. Do not attempt this installation on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while performing any data wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for your phone on the computer (download Galaxy Note 2 N7100 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times until Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilize for about five to ten minutes before you start working.
- If Status 7 error appears on screen, it could be due to an incompatible device being flashed or a related kernel might be missing (for instance, it is necessary to install a Jelly Bean kernel first, before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note 2 N7100 via Latest CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM (Release Dated 16 June 2013) for Galaxy Note 2 N7100 and Google Apps.
Step 2: Connect your phone to computer via USB cable and then mount its storage.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy the downloaded zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4: After the file transfer process is complete, Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Now boot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button together until the screen flashes and then release all three buttons. [NOTE: Use volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option in recovery].
Step 6: Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, click Backup and Restore, then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
Step 7: Perform a full data wipe task to eliminate conflicts between newly installed ROM and previous ROM. To do so, first choose wipe data/factory reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now return to CWM recovery main menu and select wipe cache partition. Wait until the wiping process completes and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the entire data-wiping process completes, you can safely proceed to the next step.
Step 8: Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, navigate to the cm-10.1-20130616-NIGHTLY-n7100.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and soon its installation will begin.
Step 9: After the ROM installation completes, repeat the step 8 but choose gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip instead of ROM zip to install Google apps package.
Step 10: Once both the ROM and Google apps are installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now. The phone will now reboot into the newly installed ROM. However, the first boot may take about 5 to 15 minutes to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM: boot the device into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by choosing it from the list.
Congratulations! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based latest CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy Note 2 N7100. Go to Settings > About Phone to confirm the firmware installed.