We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
The SlimROMs team recently announced the availability of its latest custom build featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Like the previous releases, the new Build 3 also integrates several customised features and bug fixes. One of the key features of the Android 4.2.2 Build 3 is that it adds a full Russian translation.
SlimBean Build 3 features and changes
Add Smart Control to Gallery
Add Widget Pager to HW/NavBar/NavRing
Add Easy Contact Selector to MMS
Add Hide Avatar to MMS
Add Expanded Desktop tile
Add Volume tile
Add Power tile/Power button
Add Lock volume keys in silent
Add long press 'Clear all' to clear cache
Add LED notification to Calendar events
Add Email lockscreen widget
Add more shortcuts on keyboard
Add new SuperUser
Add WebSockets to browser
Update DashClock [Latest with Daydream and all]
Added full Russian translations [Thanks to gwinlord]
Add German translations
More fixes and optimisations
N7100: Update mail drivers
One X: Add LED control
D2: Added vibration strength control to performance settings
Note:The long click 'Clear All' button to force clear cache will free RAM, therefore, do this only when there is need for more RAM.
Fix TRDS issues with MMS/contacts/email
Fix signature not applied to QuickReply
Fix call waiting not shown in title
Fix NavRing activation issues
Fix NavBar behaviour
Fix lockscreen shortcuts opening wrong app
Fix LTE toggle for some devices
Fix Keymapping on BT headsets
Kernels built with Linaro are now using Linaro 1303
One X: Improved A2DP
One X: Improved Torch
One X: Fix freq cap
I9100G: Statusbar freeze fix attempt
Browse to the source page to learn more about more fixes and known issues about the SlimBean Build 3.
Galaxy Note 2 users who wish to install Android 4.2.2 on their devices, prior to the official release, using the SlimBean Build 3 ROM may follow our step-by-step guide below. This custom ROM is going through development phase and may contain minor bug issues.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before proceeding, users are advised to verify that their devices meet below mentioned requirements.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup of all data of the phone.
4) The Note 2 should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
5) If the device is stuck on boot or experiencing boot loop then perform 'wipe cache partition' and 'wipe dalvik cache' few more times before rebooting.
6) The Galaxy Note 2 should have above 80 per cent of charge.
7) The phone should be factory unlocked and not be locked to a particular network carrier.
8) The SlimBean Build 3 ROM used in the tutorial below is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 and applying this on incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone.
Steps to install SlimBean Build 3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100
1) Download SlimBean Build 3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy Note 2 to the computer
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the Galaxy Note to the computer using USB cable. Then copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the device
[Note: Do not extract any files.]
4) Disconnect the phone from the computer and then turn the phone off
5) Boot the phone into CWM recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the screen. Then leave all three buttons for few seconds and hold them again. The CWM recovery screen will arrive soon
[Note: Use Volume keys to browse between options in the recovery mode and the Power button to select an option.]
6) In recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the preset ROM which can be restored later if the new build does not work. To perform backup, select 'Backup and Restore' then on the next screen select 'Backup' again. Once the backup is completed, go back to the main recovery menu
7) Perform data wiping task by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset,' then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe is complete then return to the CWM recovery menu. From there select 'wipe cache partition' and after the wiping process is done, select 'wipe dalvik cache' under the advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping
8) Select 'install zip from sdcard' then select 'choose zip from sdcard.' Locate the SlimBean Build 3 Jelly Bean ROM copied to the SD card. Select it pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting 'Yes' on the next screen. The ROM isntalltion will begin now
9) Once the ROM is installed, repeat the procedure (step-8) to install Google Apps zip
10) When the installation process is completed, go to the main recovery menu and select 'reboot system now' to reboot the phone and boot up into the customised Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot will take some time
[Note:In order to go back to the previous ROM, boot the device into recovery, then select 'backup and restore' then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.]
SlimBean Build 3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM is now installed and running on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
[Source: Android Jinn]