Samsung has released a new firmware update with build version XXDMG1 for the international version of Samsung Galaxy Note 2 having model number GT-N7100. The N7100XXDMG1 is based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and comes with bug fixes and minor changes. The firmware is rolled out to several countries and available via Samsung Kies.
Galaxy Note 2 users, who failed to update their device to latest N7100XXDMG1 using official method for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually using Odin flashing tool. The XXDMG1 build is an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any unlocked GT-N7100 unit except those which are from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the official firmware, users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy Note should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once official firmware is installed.
8) XXDMG1 Android 4.1.2 official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Note 2 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install XXDMG1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100
Step-1: Download XXDMG1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Galaxy Note 2 to computer [Courtesy of Samsung Updates]
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Turn off the Note 2 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Place the phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo or red and yellow text appears on the screen. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Note 2 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from N7100XXDMG1 to install on phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: In Odin check Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is used
Step-10: Click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-11: Once the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When the home screen is seen, unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from computer
XXDMG1 Android 4.1.2 official firmware should now be installed and running on Galaxy Note 2. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version of the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy Note 2 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-11) or experience bootloop, place the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Up buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset. Now select wipe cache partition and once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. Use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option in recovery mode. Performing wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the device.
[Source: Team Android]