The Android 4.3 Jelly Bean test firmware has been leaked for the Galaxy Note 2 with model number GT-N7100. With build version XXUERMI6, this update is the first Android 4.3 leak for the second generation Galaxy Note.
The leaked Jelly Bean build is an unbranded version of firmware and is for the Note 2 users in Europe. The update includes several new features, which are from Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3. Besides, it adds Samsung Knox and Samsung Wallet.
Note 2 users, who have updated their devices to the leak test build, may follow the below given step-by-step guide to root the same. The root method is shared by senior XDA member, Rayblo. Along with rooting, the guide also installs CWM recovery. The tutorial uses CWM recovery file by XDA developer, philZ and SuperSU file for rooting by Chainfire.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are advised to ensure their devices meet following set of requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Galaxy Note 2 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed, backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy Note should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) Rooting the phone will void its manufacturer's warranty. Users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the device later.
7) The SuperSU root package and the CWM recovery file work only on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. As applying this to any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy Note 2 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to root and install CWM recovery on Galaxy Note 2 N7100 running XXUEMI6 Android 4.3
Step-1: Download CWM recovery file, which comes with .tar.md5 extension, for Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Do not extract the downloaded zip
Download link: philz_touch-5.15.0-n7100.tar.md5
Step-2: Download SuperSU rooting package and copy it to the SD card of the phone
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy Note 2 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear, now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Connect the Note 2 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator [To do so, right-click on Odin.exe and click Run as Administrator from context menu.]
Step-8: In Odin, click the PDA button and select the CWM recovery file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-9: Verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. But uncheck Re-Partition option
Step-10: Click the Start button in Odin. The installation should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the flashing process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. And soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme-left box at the top of Odin indicating successful installation. Unplug the USB cable from the Galaxy Note to disconnect it from the computer
Step-12: Power off the Galaxy Note and boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together for a few seconds. The recovery mode should appear
Step-13: In CWM recovery, select install zip from sdcard then choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the SuperSU zip file which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Select it and confirm installation
Step-14: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running on XXUEMI6 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean should now be rooted with CWM recovery installed.