The Android 4.1.2 XXDME1 Jelly Bean official update was recently rolled out for the international version of Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with model number N7100. Users can install the update through OTA as well as via Samsung Kies. Also, users from firmware supported regions can update their devices with the latest official build using Odin flashing tool.
Those who have already installed the Android 4.1.2 XXDME1 Jelly Bean on their devices and are currently looking for root method may follow our step-by-step guide. The tutorial uses CF-Auto-Root file by recognised XDA developer, Chainfire. Head over to the source page to learn more about the root package.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to ensure that their phones meet following requirements.
1) Install USB driver for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup the data using the recovery.
4) The phone should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The Galaxy Note should be factory unlocked.
6) The device will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. But users can claim the warranty back by unrooting the device later.
7) The CF-Auto-Root file works only on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. As flashing this on an incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Note 2 by selecting Settings>> About device>> Model number.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 on Android 4.1.2 XXDME1 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download CF-Auto-Root for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to the computer
[File name: CF-Auto-Root-to3g-to3gxx-gtn7100.zip]
Step-2: Extract the downloaded CF-Auto-Root zip to get a file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.07. Extract the zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files
Step-4: Power off the Galaxy Note 2. Wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete switch off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home buttons together and then press the Power button until the device turns on. Now press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode
Step-5: Run Odin on the computer as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect the Note to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by a message saying Added in Odin.
If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port located at the back of the computer. If that too does not work, then re-install USB Driver
Step-7: In Odin, click the PDA button and select the CF-Auto-Root-to3g-to3gxx-gtn7100.tar.md5 file
Step-8: Verify that the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. But uncheck the Re-Partition option
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-10: Upon the completion of the installation process, a PASS message with green background will appear in the left-most box at the top of Odin. The phone will then restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, unplug safely the USB cable from the device to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 should be now rooted successfully on Android 4.1.2 XXDME1 Jelly Bean. Users may now install any app that requires root permission. Additionally, to ensure the root method is installed and working properly, verify with the Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Click here for guide to install SlimBean Build 6 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100.
[Source: Honai of Android]