Followed by the roll out of Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean for the 3G + Wi-Fi version of the Galaxy Note 8.0, a similar update has been released for the Wi-Fi version of the device with model number GT-N5110. The current official build is originally for the users from the UK, however, users from supported regions can install the update using Odin flashing tool.
The XXBMF1 build is an unbranded version of firmware and available as an Over-The-Air (OTA) update and through Samsung KIES server.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: 4 June, 2013
Region: United Kingdom
The Galaxy Note users, who wish to update their devices with the Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean, may follow our step-by-step guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the tablet, create a back-up. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy Note should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The tablet should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose custom build with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The Note 8.0 will no longer belong to a rooted version of the device once official update is installed.
8) The Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by selecting Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110
Steps-1: Download Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean official update for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to the computer
Steps-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using wizrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a file with .tar.md5 extension along with few other files
Steps-3: Download Odin 3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware on the device. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Steps-4: Turn off the Note 8.0 and wait for about five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Steps-5: Now boot the Note into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together then press the Power button until the device turns on. Now press the Volume up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Steps-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an administrator (Right click on the Odin.exe file then click on Run as administrator from the menu.)
Steps-7: Connect the Galaxy Note 8.0 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected a massage saying Added will appear under Odin's message box in the bottom left. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number, indicating the successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Steps-8: Now select these files extracted from N5110XXBMF1 folder to install on the device
a) Click the PDA button and select the file with .tar.md5 extension
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Steps-9: Ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But uncheck the Re-Partition option, select it only when a .pit file is being used
Steps-10: Double check everything and then click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Steps-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. And a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin indicating successful installation. Unplug the USB cable from the device to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 should be now updated with official Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean firmware. Verify the new software version running on the device by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy Note 8.0 gets at booting animation (after step-11) then go to the recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset. Now select wipe cache partition and once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. It should be noted that performing wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the device.
[Source: Honai of Android]