We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official update with base firmware XXBMD1 has been released for the international 3G + Wi-Fi version of Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 bearing model number N5100. The official firmware has been rolled out for a number of countries such as Italy, Spain, Germany and Russia. Users can grab the update through Samsung KIES. However, others from supported regions can also install the official build.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: April, 2013
Galaxy Note 8.0 users who fail to install Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 Jelly Bean using the official method for being region-specific may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before proceeding, users are advised to ensure that their tablets meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the tablet, create a backup. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then users are advised to back up data using the same.
4) The Galaxy Note should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The Note 8.0 should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose custom build with the installation of the official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no not belong to a rooted version once the official firmware is installed.
6) As the Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 and flashing it on any incorrect variant will brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy Note by navigating to Settings>> About Tablet.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100
1) Download Android 4.1.2 N5100XXBMD1 Jelly Bean official firmware for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to the computer
2) Extract the downloaded zip file to get a .tar or .tar.md5 file along with some other files
3) Download Odin3 v3.07 which will help to install Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file with some other files
4) Turn off the Galaxy Note. Place the tablet in Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the tablet's screen. Wait for a few seconds and the device will be in Download Mode soon [Users may require to press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode in green Robot screen.]
5) Run the Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
6) Connect the Galaxy Note to the computer using USB cable. A message saying Added will appear under Odin's message box. When the tablet is connected successfully, ID: COM port will turn yellow with COM port number
Note: If the Added message does not come, then try the USB port located at the back side of the computer. If that too does not work, then reinstall USB Driver.
7) Select these files, extracted from the N5100XXBMD1 folder, in the mentioned order to install on the tablet
a) Click the PDA button and select the file with .tar or .tar.md5 extension
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the steps b, c and d in case such files are not found.
8) In Odin window, ensure the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected. Also verify the Re-Partition option is selected in case a .pit file is being used
9) Finally, hit the Start button in Odin to begin the flashing
10) Upon completion of the installation process, a PASS message will appear in Odin indicating successful installation. The tablet will then restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the screen, unplug the USB cable form the Note to disconnect it from the computer
If the Galaxy Note 8.0 gets stuck at booting animation, after step-10, then put the device in recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Then perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset and select Wipe Cache Partition. Once the action is completed reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 should be now updated with Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 Jelly Bean official firmware. Head over to Settings>> About tablet to verify the software version running on the device.
Click here for step-by-step guide to root Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 Jelly Bean.
[Source: Android Jinn]