A new official update, Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with build version XXLQG, recently rolled out for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S Advance bearing model number GT-I9070.
The latest official build is a completely unbranded version of firmware and originally for the users from Italy. Users can grab the update through the Samsung KIES server. Those belonging to supported regions can also install the update manually using Odin flashing tool.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: 29 May, 2013
Galaxy S Advance users who failed to install the update using official method may follow our step-by-step guide to install Android 4.1.2 XXLQG Jelly Bean manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before installing the firmware, users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed, then back up data using the recovery only.
4) The Galaxy S Advance should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom firmware with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery which will be replaced by the stock recovery.
7) The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version once official firmware is installed.
8) The Android 4.1.2 XXLQG Jelly Bean official build is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model number.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXLQG Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070
Step-1: Download Android 4.1.2 XXLQG Jelly Bean official firmware for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded zip file using Winzip, Winrzr, 7zip or any other extracting tool to get a file with .tar.md5 extension with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy S Advance and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm the power off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear, now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S Advance to the computer using USB cable while the device is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue indicating all the drivers are installed successfully
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognsie the device, then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9070PXXLQG folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select the file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-9: Verify that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. Also, ensure that the Re-Partition option is unchecked; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: When everything is set, hit the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-11: Once the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically. And soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin indicating successful installation. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy S Advance should now be updated with Android 4.1.2 XXLQG Jelly Bean official build. Head over to Settings>> About Phone>> Firmware info to verify the new software version running on the device. Additionally, re-configure the APN Settings to avoid data networks connection issues. Also change the default language to your desired language by selecting Setting>> Language and Text input.
How to Fix Bootloop Issues
1) While installing the firmware if the PASS message does not display (step-11) or the device gets stuck for a long time, then disconnect the phone from the computer. Remove the battery and re-insert it, check the USB connection, re-install the USB driver and disable KIES. Enter Download Mode and repeat the whole procedure.
2) If bootloop occurs or the device is stuck in welcome screen logo, then boot the phone into recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset then select Wipe Cache Partition. Reboot the phone in normal mode by selecting reboot system now. When the phone boots up, it should be running on the official build. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between the options and use the Power button to select the particular option. Performing wiping task will erase the internal memory of the device.
[Source: Android Advices]