We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Android 4.1.2 XXLQ4 Jelly Bean software update is recently released for the Galaxy S Advance with model number I9070. The update is originally for the users from Russia but it is compatible with a few European countries including the UK. The XXLQ4 Jelly Bean firmware is unbranded and can be installed through Samsung Kies.
Galaxy S Advance users, who have already upgraded their handsets with the latest XXLQ4 Jelly Bean, may follow our step-by-step instruction guide below to root their devices. The root package used in the tutorial below is released by XDA developer, Shaaan who claims the root does not increase the binary counter and no kernel changing is required.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it shall not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their devices before proceeding, since the root method works only with Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070, not with any other variants.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S Advance on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Ensure that the phone has at least 70 per cent of charge.
4) Make back-up for all the date of the phone including APN settings.
5) The device should be factory unlocked.
6) The Galaxy S Advance will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted.
Steps to root Galaxy S Advance I9070 on Android 4.1.2 XXLQ4 Jelly Bean
1) Download root package for Galaxy S Advance to the computer
2) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. Now copy the downloaded zip file to the external SD card of the phone
3) Now unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer and then turn it off
4) Enter into stock Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
5) Using the Volume buttons navigate to and select 'apply update from external storage'
6) Locate the root zip file which is saved in the external storage
7) Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation
8) Once the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select 'Reboot System Now' to reboot the phone
The Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 running on Android 4.1.2 XXLQ4 Jelly Bean official firmware is now rooted successfully. To ensure the aforementioned root method is installed and is working correctly, verify with the Root Checker app, which is available at the Google Play Store.