An official software update, Android 4.1.2 XXLQB Jelly Bean, has been released for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070. The update is originally for Telekom subscribers from Serbia but users from supported regions can also install it.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build data: 26 February, 2013
Galaxy S Advance users who have already upgraded their handsets with Android 4.1.2 XXLQB Jelly Bean and are looking for a root method, may follow our step-by-step guide.
The tutorial uses the root file released by XDA developer Shaaan who has confirmed to IBTimes UK stating the file should work on all versions of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean running on Galaxy S Advance. One of the key features of the root package is it does not increase binary counters.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to transfer files between the phone and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As this tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup of all data of the phone. If the phone is having a custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP already installed then users are recommended to backup the data using the same.
4) The battery of the Galaxy S Advance should have above 80 per cent charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked.
6) The phone will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. However, users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting it later.
7) The root file works only on Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070. Flashing this on any other variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy S Advance by navigating to Settings>> About Phone.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 on Android 4.1.2 XXLQB Jelly Bean
1) Download Jelly Bean root package for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to the computer
2) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable
3) Copy the downloaded root zip file to the external SD card of the phone
4) Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer and then turn it off
5) Boot the Galaxy S Advance into stock recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device turns on. In the recovery mode, use the Volume keys to scroll between the options and the Power button to select the desired option
6) Navigate to and select install update from external sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Then browse to the root zip which was earlier copied to the SD card
7) Select the root file and confirm installation. The flashing process should start now
8) When the installation process is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now from recovery menu
Once the Samsung Galaxy S Advance boots up, it should be rooted successfully on Android 4.1.2 XXLQB Jelly Bean official firmware. To ensure the root method is installed and working properly, verify with the Root Checker app from Google Play Store.