We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung has released Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official update with XXLPD base firmware for the NFC variant of Samsung Galaxy S Advance bearing model number I9070P. The OTA update is available in Germany and is expected to reach other regions soon.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: April, 2013
Galaxy S Advance users, who cannot wait for the Jelly Bean update to reach their regions and wish to install the same manually, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements before installing firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the phone, create backup for the same. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup the data using the recovery.
4) The phone should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked.
6) The phone will lose custom firmware with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery which will be replaced by the stock recovery.
7) The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version once official firmware is installed.
8) Perform a Hard Reset if the handset is having lots of third party applications. This will ensure a smooth installation process. But do not forget to backup data before resetting the device.
9) The Android 4.1.2 XXLPD Jelly Bean is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070P. Applying this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy S Advance by navigating to Settings>> About Phone.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXLPD Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070P
Step-1: Download Android 4.1.2 I9070PXXLPD Jelly Bean firmware for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded zip file using Winzip, Winrzr, 7zip or any other extracting tool to get a file with .tar or .tar.md5 extension along with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy S Advance then reboot the phone into Download Mode. To do so press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear saying to 'continue' or 'cancel.' Press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-5: Run Odin on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S Advance to the computer using USB cable while the device is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM in Odin will turn yellow. Also a message saying Added will appear in Odin
Note: If the Odin message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case that too does not work, then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: Now select these files extracted from the I9070PXXLPD Jelly Bean folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar or .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select the file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the steps b, c and d if such files are not found.
Step-8: In Odin ensure that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. Also verify the Re-Partition option is unchecked. Select the option only if the .pit file is being used
Step-9: When everything is set, hit the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take about five minutes to complete
Step-10: Once the installation process is completed, a PASS message will display in Odin indicating successful installation. The device will reboot automatically. Once the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
As the Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070P boots up successfully, it should be updated with official Android 4.1.2 XXLPD Jelly Bean. Head over to Settings>> About Phone>> Firmware info. Re-configure the APN Settings to avoid data networks connection issues. Also change the default language to your desired language. To do so, navigate to Setting>> Language and Text input.
Fix bootloop issues
1) While installing the firmware if the PASS message does not display (step-10) or the device gets stuck in for long time then disconnect the phone from the computer. Remove the battery and re-insert it, check the USB connection, re-install USB driver and disable KIES. Enter into Download Mode and repeat the whole procedure.
2) If bootloop occurs or the device is stuck in welcome screen logo, then boot the phone into recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between the options and use Power button to select the particular option.
In recovery mode, select Wipe data/factory reset then select Wipe Cache Partition. Reboot the phone in normal mode by selecting reboot system now. When the phone boots up, it should be running on the official build.
Click here for guide to install Android 4.1.2 XXLQG Jelly Bean on Galaxy S Advance.
[Source: Android ROM Update]