The NFC variant of Samsung Galaxy S Advance with model number GT-I9070P recently received a software update with base firmware XXLPF. The update is based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and has been released for users in Italy.
Version: Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Build date: 10 June, 2013
Product code: TIM
[Firmware Information and link: Samsung Updates]
Users can grab the update using the Samsung Kies utility. Since the XXLPF build is an unbranded version of firmware it can be installed on any unlocked I9070P unit except those which are from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Those who wish to install XXLPF Android 4.1.2 on their devices manually using Odin flashing tool, may follow our step-by-step guide. (Courtesy of Android ROM Update)
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements before installing firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect the Android device with computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then back up the data using the recovery.
4) The phone should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom firmware with the installation of official firmware. It will also lose custom recovery which will be replaced by the stock recovery.
7) The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version once the official firmware is installed.
8) Perform a Hard Reset if the handset is having many third party applications. This will ensure a smooth installation process. But do not forget to back up data before resetting the device.
9) XXLPF Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070P. As applying this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy S Advance by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
Steps to install XXLPF Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P
Step-1: Download I9070PXXLPF Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file using Winzip, Winrzr, 7zip or any other extracting tool to get a file with .tar.md5 extension along with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy S Advance and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode bypressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear saying either to continue or cancel. Press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator
Step-7: Connect the phone to computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin. Also the ID: COM in Odin will turn blue with COM port number indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then the USB port at the back of the computer. In case that too does not work, then re-install the USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from the I9070PXXLPF folder to install on phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select the file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-9: In Odin, verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is used
Step-10: When everything is set, click Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, a PASS message will display in Odin indicating successful installation. The device will reboot automatically. Now safely unplug the USB cable from phone to disconnect it from computer
XXLPF Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official build should now be installed on the Galaxy S Advance. Head over to Settings>> About phone>> Firmware info to verify the new software version of the handset. Re-configure the APN Settings to avoid data networks connection issues. Navigate to Setting>> Language and Text input to change the default language to your desired language.
Fix Bootloop Issues
1) While installing the firmware if the PASS message does not display (step-11) or the device gets stuck for long time, then disconnect the phone from the computer. Remove the battery and re-insert it, check the USB connection, re-install USB driver and disable KIES. Enter Download Mode and repeat the whole procedure.
2) If bootloop occurs or the device is stuck in welcome screen logo, then boot the phone into recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between the options and use the Power button to select the particular option.
In recovery mode, select Wipe data/factory reset and then select Wipe Cache Partition. Reboot the phone in normal mode by selecting reboot system now. When the phone boots up, it should be running on the official build.