Samsung's first Galaxy S smartphone (GT-I9000) users can now enjoy the latest custom Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) features, thanks to the release of SuperNexus 3.0 Build 1 ROM by XDA Recognised Developer, Faryaab. Though the company is yet to release any official firmware based on Android 4.3, Galaxy S users can now taste Nexus-like interface and app functionality on their device with SuperNexus 3.0 ROM.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
SuperNexus 3.0 ROM Features
- Fully Deodexed
- Zipaligned APKs
- Rooted (Super SU)
- BusyBox Installed
- No 3rd Party App
- ZERO Bloatware
- Android Source Code vastly improved and optimised (ie Bionic, Dalvik, Webkit, Framework, libcore, SQlite etc)
- Official JellyBean bootanimation
- Init.d Support
- Rsync Support
- UserInit Support
- Bash & Nano Support
- Native SIP/VOIP Support
- OpenSSH Support (ssh, sshd, scp, stfp)
- HSPA+ Support
- OpenVPN Support
- Ad-Hoc Network Support
- exFAT and NTFS-3G support
- EXT4 File System Optimisations
- Large APN & SPN List
- SELinux enabled
- Framework Features:
-Extended Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery, Download & Screenshot Options)
-Improved Scrolling Cache
-Tweaked Animation Values Of Progress Spinners (Silky Smooth Loading Spinners)
-Enabled Rotation Lock Tile in Quick Settings for Phones (Previously was only enabled on Tablets)
-Increased Lockscreen Widget limit from 5 to 9
-Options for switching between USB Mass Storage and MTP/PTP (On Specific Devices)
- Browser Features:
-Increased Maximum Tab limit from 16 to 64
-Incognito Tab Option (When long pressed on an URL)
-Option To Close All Tabs With One-Click
-Allowed Any Type Of File To Be Downloaded
- Phone Features:
Head over to XDA Developers source page to learn more about features of this ROM.
- The Android 4.3 SuperNexus 3.0 ROM and instructions provided are limited to the Galaxy S GT-I9000 model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Back up data and settings via recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial
- Download and install correct USB drivers for Galaxy S I9000 on computer
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options
- Double-check the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM
- Make sure device is unlocked and rooted (not locked to specific carrier) with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) pre-installed
- If device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using device
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM)
How to Update Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean via SuperNexus 3.0 ROM
- Download Android 4.3 SuperNexus 3.0 ROM for Galaxy S GT-I9000. Also download Google Apps for your phone on computer
- Connect and mount phone's USB mass storage on computer via USB cable
- Copy downloaded Android 4.3 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to root folder on phone's SD card
- Power off phone and disconnect USB cable from computer
- Now, boot phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons
- Follow onscreen instructions to enter recovery mode
- In ClockworkMod recovery, perform a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data / Factory Reset. Note: Skip this step if upgrading from previous build of SuperNexus ROM. Use volume buttons to navigate and Power to select desired option.
- Wait until wipe process completes and then perform Wipe Cache Partition. Let process complete and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache from Advance option. This will prevent ROM-related errors or boot loop issues.
- Once wipe process is done, return to main recovery menu and click Install Zip from SD card
- Then select Choose Zip from SD card. Locate the Android 4.3 ROM zip file copied earlier and select it by tapping Power. Confirm ROM installation on next screen and let the installation begin.
- Note: Repeat previous step for installing Google Apps and choose "No" when recovery asks for disable recovery flash
- After Google Apps is also installed, choose "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap reboot system now in recovery menu. The phone will now reboot automatically and the first boot might take about five minutes to complete.
The Galaxy S GT-I9000 is now running on Android 4.3 based SuperNexus 3.0 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.