The Galaxy S I9000 is one of the latest entrants to the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean party, thanks to the release of AOKP Build 5 ROM from industrious Android custom ROM developers. Though the official Jelly Bean updates to most of the Android devices are far and few, regular custom ROM based Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) and Jelly Bean releases have kept the Android market alive. Installation of this ROM requires your Galaxy S device to be rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it.
AOKP Build 5 Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Features
- Custom NavBar for Tablets
- NavBar widgets are back from ICS
- Highly customisable Lockscreen Ring targets, with a shiny new editor in ROMControl (CM takes the credit for the base of the framework part)
- Alternate default app picker (like in GB)
- Menu UI Overflow Toggle
- Option to disable vibration for Notification expansion
- RAM Bar in the Recents panel
- Timeout and instant lock options for Slide lock
- Tons of beautiful new icons by Kwes
- VPN Traffic statistics in human readable format
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the Galaxy S I9000 model and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- The ROM is not an official release, but a custom ROM based on AOSP release of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update on your Galaxy S I9000.
- Do a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will NOT recognise your device after installing the AOKP build 5 ROM based Android 4.1.2 update, as it is a custom ROM.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the AOKP Build 5 firmware update. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have installed the correct USB drivers for your Galaxy S I9000 phone to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development. This feature helps in connecting your Android phone with the computer.
- Verify that your phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown while flashing the AOKP custom ROM or installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
- Ensure that your Galaxy S phone is factory unlocked. Also, verify that the device is rooted and Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery installed on it.
How to Install AOKP Build 5 Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S I9000
Step 1 - Download AOKP Build 5 Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM and Google Apps for your Galaxy S I9000 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S I9000 USB mass storage on your computer using an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the Android 4.1.2 ROM zip file to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone.
Step 5 - Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device powers on and boots into Bootloader mode.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions, select Bootloader and then progress into CWM Recovery.
Step 7 - In CWM recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then, navigate to flash zip from SD card option and hit the Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Tap the Power button once again and click choose zip from SD card.
Step 9 - Navigate to the Android 4.1.2 ROM zip file that you copied to your phone in Step 3. Use volume keys to navigate to the file and select it using the power button. Double-tap on the ROM zip file to begin installation. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and tap reboot system now in the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
AOKP Build 5 based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S I9000. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]