We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Recently, a flurry of Galaxy S smartphones (including Galaxy S2 I9100, I9100G and Galaxy S3 I9300) have received the latest Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) update via CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly ROM, which is still under development (not stable). However, industrious Android developers have unleashed a more stable Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) based Avatar ROM for these galaxy devices.
Earlier, Galaxy S2 I9100, Galaxy S2 I9100G and Galaxy S3 I9300 received the Android 4.1.2 firmware update via Avatar ROM. Now, Galaxy S I9000 also joins the custom Jelly Bean party with the release of CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) based Avatar ROM.
The Avatar ROM integrates the highly-customisable features of CM10 with the attractive theme engine of MIUI ROM in a cool package. The ROM offers full-customisation capabilities of CyanogenMod 10 along with the ability to install elegant custom themes of MIUI ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The Avatar ROM and instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant - Galaxy S I9000 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settingson the phone, and also ensure that the device's battery has at least 80 percent charge.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S phone on the computer (download USB drivers).
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed
- If the phone is stuck on boot animation or facing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cacheand Wipe Dalvik Cache operations a couple of times more before rebooting.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not support any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing Android 4.1.2 based Avatar ROM on Galaxy S I9000. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Based Avatar ROM on Samsung Galaxy S I9000
1. Connect your phone to the computer with USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect USB cable from computer and power off the phone.
4. Boot the phone into CWM recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Now, release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again. Now, the device enters ClockworkMod recovery. Use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM, so that it can be restored later if you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform full-data-wipe task. To do so, click Wipe Data/Factory Reset and choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until data wipe process completes. Now, return to CWM recovery main menu. Hit Wipe Cache Partition and after wipe process completes, click Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card, then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, locate the cm-1.0b_25_20130111_galaxysmtd.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by clicking Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM is installed, repeat step 7 but choose GApps file instead of ROM to install Google apps.
9. When Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based Avatar ROM. The first may take some time. So, do not interrupt the process.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware based Avatar ROM is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S I9000.
[Source: Android Jinn]