We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung's first generation Galaxy S series smartphone, running on the Android Gingerbread software version, can now be be upgraded to Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) using an unofficial build of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1).
Since the CM10.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM is in its nightly stage, Galaxy S users may encounter several bugs as well as other issues. In order to fix these users will have to either reinstall stock firmware or any stable custom ROM.
Galaxy S users who are looking to update their devices with CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Nightly may follow our step-by-step guide given below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before following the guide users are advised to verify the model number of their device since the Jelly Bean custom ROM works only on the Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and not on any other variant.
1) Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup of all data of the phone. If the phone has custom recovery installed, make a backup for the same.
4) The phone should be factory unlocked.
5) Ensure that the phone is rooted and ClockworkMod recovery should be installed.
6) The battery of Galaxy S should be charged above 80 per cent.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Jelly Bean Nightly on Galaxy S I9000
1) Download Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S to the computer
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable and copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the device
4) Disconnect the phone from the computer and switch it off
5) Enter Recovery Mode by turning on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
6) In CWM recovery, perform a full data wipe. Then using the Volume buttons scroll down to 'Flash zip from SD card,' select it using the Power button. Now select 'Choose zip from SD card' once again pressing the Power button
7) Navigate to the Jelly Bean ROM zip file which is saved on the SD card, select it pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen
8) Once the ROM is installed, repeat the procedure to install the Google Apps zip file
9) After the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select 'Reboot System now.' The phone will take about five minutes to boot the first time
Samsung Galaxy S I9000 is now updated and running on CM10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean based on Android 4.2.2. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software running on the phone.
[Source: Team Android]