The Galaxy S2 I9100 joins the AOKP custom ROM Jelly Bean party with its siblings S2 I9100G, S3 I9300 and SI9000, thanks to the release of AOKP build 4 based firmware update. This is not an official release, but just another custom ROM with stock Android. Before attempting to install this ROM, users should ensure that their phone is rooted and ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery is installed on it.
What New Features You Will Get
- Custom NavBar Ring on tablets
- Force dual panel view on any device
- Flip or shake your device to snooze/dismiss the alarm (check alarm settings)
- Take screenshot from NavBar
- Enabled USB mass storage emulation for certain devices (i9*)
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the international version Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of all the apps, important data and settings on your phone before proceeding with the ROM installation.
- Do a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognize your phone after installing the AOKP build 4 based Jelly Bean update, as it is a custom ROM.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed on your Galaxy S2 to enable proper connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode, which helps connect your Android phone with the computer. This is done by navigating to Settings > Developer options.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROM or installing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- Ensure that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted. Also, verify if CWM recovery is installed on your phone before you proceed.
How to Install AOKP Build 4 Based Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download AOKP Build 4 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM and Google Apps for I9100 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S2 USB mass storage on your computer with an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.1.1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone, unplug the USB cable from the computer and boot into recovery mode.
Step 5 - To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until you progress into CWM recovery.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse and select flash zip from SD card option and hit the power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 -Now, use volume keys to browse and locate the Android 4.1.1 ROM ZIP file that you copied to your SD card. Then, select it by tapping the power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
NOTE: Repeat the same step for installing Google Apps.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and click on reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
AOKP Build 4 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update is now installed on your Galaxy S2 I9100. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]