Samsung is rolling out Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, with base firmware XXLSS build version, Over-The-Air update for NFC-enabled Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100P. The update is originally for Orange subscribers from the UK. Like other carrier branded firmware, this new build will not be available via Samsung KIES.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: 4 June, 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Those who failed to receive the OTA update for being region-specific may follow our step-by-step guide to install the XXLSS build manually using Odin flashing tool.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their handsets meet following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The Galaxy device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official build.
8) Android 4.1.2 XXLSS Jelly Bean build is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100P. As flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install XXLSS Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100P
Step-1: Download Android 4.1.2 XXLSS Jelly Bean official firmware for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a file with .tar.md5 extension with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy S2 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while pressing the Power button. A warning screen will appear, now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected, an Added message will appear at the bottom left of Odin message box. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9100PXXLSS folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT file and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-9: In Odin, ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck the Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Finally, click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Followed by this a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin indicating successful installation. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100P should now be updated with Android 4.1.2 XXLSS Jelly Bean official firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version of the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S2 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-11) then put the phone in recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Now perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset and then select Wipe Cache Partition. When the wiping process is done, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use the Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select the desired option. Performing data wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the phone.
[Source: Android Jinn]