Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 users can now enjoy a rock stable Jelly Bean experience on their device, thanks to the release of popular CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM by the industrious CyanogenMod team. The CM10.1 ROM is based on original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release, which brings the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean features powered with superior performance and greater stability than stock Android versions.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are limited tothe international variant Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 only. Do not attempt this installation on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while performing any data wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for your device on the computer (download Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times until Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilize for about five to ten minutes before you start working on it.
- If Status 7 error appears on screen, it could be due to an incompatible device being flashed or a related kernel might be missing. In other words, make sure to install a Jelly Bean kernel first, before installing any Jelly Bean ROM.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM on Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Build ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300 and Google Apps to your computer desktop.
Step 2: Now, connect and mount your phone's SD card on computer via USB cable.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of your phone's SD card.
Step 4: Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer, once the file transfer process completes.
Step 5: Boot the phone into ClockworkMod recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again to enter CWM recovery. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
Step 6: Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To take a backup, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
Step 7: Do a full data wiping task to eliminate conflicts between newly installed ROM and previous ROM. To do so, first click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and choose Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until the process completes and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the entire data wiping task completes, proceed to the next step.
Step 8: Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, browse to the cm-10.1-20130619-NIGHTLY-i9300.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and soon the installation process will begin.
Step 9: After the ROM installation is complete, repeat step 8 but choose gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip instead of ROM zip file to install Google apps.
Step 10: Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now. The phone will now boot into the newly installed ROM. But, the first boot may take about 5 to 15 minutes to complete. So, please be patient and do not interrupt the process.
Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM: boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is now powered by Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 Nightly ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]