An official software update with build number XXEMF6, based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, has recently rolled out to the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 bearing model number GT-I9300. The update is available via Samsung KIES server and can be also installed manually using the Odin flashing tool.
- PDA: I9300XXEMF6
- CSC: I9300ITVEMF1
- Version: Android 4.1.2
- Built date: June 2013
Android 4.1.2 features
- Android 4.1.2-JZO54K
- Multi-view (Multi-Windows Multitasking, same as in Note 2)
- Page Buddy
- New Gallery app (Same as in Note 2)
- Notification panel (Notification Panel can now be customised)
- Brightness slider in Notification Panel can now be disabled
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings)
- Continuous Input in Samsung keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 keyboard)
- Paper Artist App
- Group Cast App
Galaxy S3 users who wish to install XXEMF6 Android 4.1.2 on their devices may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging mode on phone to connect with computer and use Android SDK [Press Menu > Settings > Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode].
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data off the phone, create a backup. If the device has custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then backup data using recovery.
4) The battery of Galaxy S3 should have at least 80% charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, it will lose custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once official build is installed.
8) The XXEMF6 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Flashing this on any other variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings > About Device > Model Number.
Steps to Install XXEMF6 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
Step-1: Download XXEMF6 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official update for Samsung Galaxy S3 to computer
Step-2: Extract downloaded firmware zip to get a .tar.md5 file with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and a few other files
Step-4: Switch off Galaxy S3 and wait five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off. Now boot phone into Download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power until a construction Android robot appears on phone's screen. Then press the Volume Up again to enter Download mode
Step-5: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while in Download mode. Wait until Odin detects device. When phone is successfully connected, an Added message will appear in Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with a COM port number, indicating a successful connection
Note: If Added message does not come then try another USB port (Try the one located at the back side of the computer). In case Odin still fails to recognise device then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: Now select these files extracted from I9300XXEMF6 folder to install on phone
- a) Click the PDA button and select the file with .tar.md5 extension
- b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
- c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
- d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
- Note: Ignore last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found
Step-8: In Odin, verify that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected but uncheck Re-Partition option. Click the option only when .pit file is being used
Step-9: When everything is set, hit Start in Odin. Installation should begin now and will take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When installation is completed, the phone will restart automatically and soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin, indicating successful installation. Now unplug USB cable from phone to disconnect from computer
The XXEMF6 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware should now be installed and running on the Galaxy S3. Head to Settings > About Device to verify new software version of device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at boot animation or at Samsung logo after step-10 then boot device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then select Wipe Cache Partition. Once wiping task is done, reboot phone by selecting Reboot System Now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power to select desired option. It should be noted that performing wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the device.
[Source: Team Android]