The Galaxy S3 I9300 gets yet another Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update with the release of new official firmware VBLH2. The firmware is also available for download on Samsung KIES. Those who missed the official update for their phone can now download the software through ODIN package, thanks to the industrious efforts of Android developers.
Key Points to Note
- Incorporation of this ROM on your Galaxy S3 does not require either rooting or ClockworkMod recovery to be installed. That is one hitch less to be concerned about.
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible only with the international version Galaxy S3 I9300 model and will not work with any other device. Verify your device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- This is an official software update with custom firmware. As the VBLH2 ROM is based on official Android 4.0.4 ICS update, you will lose root access soon after installing the firmware. You need to root your device again to regain full system access and install third-party root based apps once again.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.0.4 ICS update on your device.
- The instructions in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the VBLH2 firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy S3 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode to help connect your Android phone with the computer.
- Verify that your phone battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROM or installing the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update.
- Make sure that your phone's bootloader is factory unlocked before you proceed with the ROM installation procedure. Locked devices can be unlocked by following our step-by-step tutorial posted here.
How to Install VBLH2 Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 I9300VBLH2 ROM for Galaxy S3 on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.0.4 ICS on your Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until you see the construction Android robot icon with a triangle. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and plug your phone to it (via USB cable) while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If the device connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step is time consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the files to be flashed or installed on your phone, which are found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Click Phone button and choose the file titled 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click on CSC and tap the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on PIT and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of the Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Click Start button in ODIN and the installation process will begin. It may take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - After the ROM is installed via ODIN, your phone will reboot. When you see the home screen, disconnect your phone from the computer.
VBLH2 based Android 4.0.4 ICS update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S3 I9300. Go to Settings > About phone to confirm the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]