We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 finally joins the list of Jelly Bean devices with an official OTA firmware update using XXDLI5 ROM. The new OTA firmware update requires the installation of BUBLG3 base firmware in order to work. Those who have already installed the base firmware can continue installing the OTA update over XXDLI5 ROM. The firmware dated 17 September 2012 is exclusively meant for the UK region.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable only to the international version Galaxy S3 I9300 model and will not work with any other device.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Jelly Bean update.
- As this is an official XXDLI5 ROM based Android 4.1.1 update for Galaxy S3 I9300, you will lose root access soon after installing the update. You need to root your phone again to regain full system access, and be able to install root-based third party apps again.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Make sure that correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy S3 device on the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers.
- Verify that the phone battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while installing the XXDLI5 ROM based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- Ensure that your phone is factory unlocked before proceeding with the firmware installation procedure.
- It is mandatory to install I9300BUBLG3 baseband firmware before installing the official Jelly Bean based I9300XXDLI5 OTA firmware update.
How to Install I9300BUBLG3 Based Android 4.0.4 Baseband Firmware Update for Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 I9300BUBLG3 baseband firmware for Galaxy S3 on your computer and extract the zip file to the desktop.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.0.4 ICS update on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and boot into Download Mode through button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button till you get the construction Android robot icon with a triangle on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Ensure that you installed the correct USB drivers for your Galaxy S3 device on your computer (check the prerequisites for download).
Step 5 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your phone to it via USB cable, while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with corresponding COM port number. This step is time consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 7 - Now, choose the files that you need to flash/install on your phone, which are found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Click on Phone button and tap the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Tap on CSC and click the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
- Click on PIT and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. As for the Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Click Start button in ODIN and the ROM Installation process will begin. It will take a few minutes to complete the process.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, your phone will reboot. When you see the home screen, disconnect your phone from the computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy S 3 is now successfully updated to Android 4.0.4 ICS based BUBLG3 firmware update. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
As the baseband firmware BUBLG3 is already installed you can now proceed with the XXDLI5 based Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S3 I9300.
How to Install XXDLI5 Based Official Jelly Bean OTA Update for Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download XXDLI5 Android 4.1.1 OTA update for Galaxy S3 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S3 mass storage on your computer using an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy/paste the downloaded XXDLI5 OTA zip file to the root folder on your SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug the USB cable.
Step 5 - Boot into recovery mode using a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the phone reboots into recovery mode.
Step 6 - In recovery, use volume keys to navigate and select apply update from SD card and hit the Power button to install the update.
Step 7 - Press the Power button once again and click choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the XXDLI5 OTA zip file that you copied to your SD card, and then select it using the power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation procedure will begin.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit go back and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will restart now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to boot. So, leave it alone.
XXDLI5 based Android 4.1.1 OTA firmware is now installed on your phone. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]