The international variant of Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (GT-I9295) has just started receiving its first Android 4.4.2 KitKat update with firmware build number I9295XXUCNE4 in several Nordic countries.
The new KitKat firmware is now available via Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as through KIES software in select countries.
Those who missed the OTA update notification or cannot access the update via KIES can still download and install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide below.
Android 4.4.2 I9295XXUCNE4 KitKat Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.4.2
Build date: May 21, 2014
Regions: Nordic countries
1. Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 Active GT-I9295 on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Backup all your important data before you proceed with installation process.
4. Ensure the phone's battery has at least 80% charge.
5. The Android 4.4.2 I9295XXUCNE4 firmware is compatible only with the Galaxy S4 Active (GT-I9295). Do not attempt installing this firmware on incorrect variants as it may damage or brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 Active by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Update Galaxy S4 Active I9295 with Android 4.4.2 I9295XXUCNE4 KitKat Firmware
Step 1: Extract Firmware zip file using WinRAR/7-Zip/WinZip or any other extracting tool to receive a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Turn off the Galaxy S4 Active.
Step 4: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Run Odin on the computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S4 Active to computer via USB cable while it is still in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device and the ID: COM box turns light blue with the COM port number. At this moment a message saying "Added!" should appear on the screen that confirms successful connection.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin from extracted I9295XXUCNE4 firmware folder:
- Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file.
- Tap the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name.
- Hit the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name.
- Click the PIT button and select the .pit file. Ignore the last three steps if the files are missing or not found.
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked only if a .pit file was selected in the previous step.
Step 9: Verify everything suggested in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit Start button to begin the installation process.
Step 10: After the installation process is done, your phone will reboot and soon a PASSmessage with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. You can now disconnect the USB cable and remove the device from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295 should now be updated with Android 4.4.2 I9295XXUCNE4 KitKat official firmware. Head over to Settings >> About Phone to verify the software version installed on the device.
If Galaxy S4 Active is stuck at booting animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before choosing reboot system now function.
Note: In recovery mode use the Volume keys to browse between options and the Power key to select desired option. Please note that performing wiping task will erase your device's internal memory and not external SD card data.
[Source: Honai of Android]