Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A (GT-I9506) has finally received its first custom Lollipop update, thanks to the release of Android 5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) Nightly ROM.
With Samsung unlikely to release the official Lollipop update for the smartphone anytime soon, it is imperative for non-Nexus device owners to make the most of available custom ROM releases with the latest offering from Google.
The CM12 Nightly ROM is based on the original AOSP release and brings stock-like Android experience in a bloatware free package.
Interested users can go ahead and install the latest Lollipop based CM12 ROM on their Galaxy S4 LTE-A by following our step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variants of Galaxy S4 LTE-A (GT-I9506) only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S4 LTE-A USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to Install Android5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12 ROM on Galaxy S4 LTE-A (GT-I9506)
Step 1 - Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 custom ROM for Galaxy S4 LTE-A on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone'sUSB mass storage on the computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded CM12 Nightly ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing Volume up, Home and Power buttons on your phone.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volumekeys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced'option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12 Nightly ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to installGoogle Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S4 LTE-A (GT-I9506) is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.