Samsung has just started rolling out its latest Android 4.3 stock firmware with build number I9505XXUENA4, for Galaxy S4 (LTE) users across the globe. As the new firmware is being rolled out in phases, it may take some time before it is available for Over-The-Air (OTA) update.
As this is an unbranded firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy S4 LTE regardless of the country or region. The I9505XXUENA4 stock firmware brings access to just stock or native apps without any bloatware (third-party apps).
Android 4.3 I9505XXUENA4 Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:59:25 +0000
Product Code: XEO
The I9505XXUENA4 Android 4.3 stock firmware brings a host of noteworthy features and enhancements which are listed below:
- OpenGL 3.0 Support
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
- Improved RAM management
- Improved Display colour reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode (Optimises display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
- New Camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
Interested users can go ahead and install the new Android 4.3 I9505XXUENA4 official firmware on their Galaxy S4 LTE by following our step-by-step guide given below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 LTE on the computer.
2. USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up your important data to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier).
5. Verify Galaxy S4 LTE has at least 80 percent battery charge.
6. The I9300XXUENA4 Android 4.3 firmware is compatible with Galaxy S4 LTE only. Do not attempt installing it on incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
1. Android 4.3 I9505XXUENA4 Jelly Bean Firmware for Galaxy S4 LTE
Steps to Update Galaxy S4 LTE with Android 4.3 I9505XXUENA4 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract Android 4.3 firmware zip file via WinRAR/7-Zip or WinZip to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other optional files.
Step 2: Next Odin zip file should be extracted to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the Galaxy S4 LTE and boot the device into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Powerbuttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then keep tapping Power button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Now connect Galaxy S4 LTE to computer with USB cable in Download Mode. When Odin detects the device and a pop-up message reading "Added!" appears on screen, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number.
Note: If the Added message fails to appear, then try re-installing USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin from extracted I9505XXUENA4 firmware folder:
- Tap PDA button and choose the .tar.md5 file.
- Hit Phone button and select the file named MODEM.
- Tap CSC button and choose the file named CSC.
- Click PIT button and choose the .pit file.
NOTE:Ignore the last three files (MODEM, CSC and .pit) if they are not found.
Step 8: In Odin, select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked only if you used the .pit file in previous step.
Step 9: After ensuring that Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly, hit the Start button in Odin to begin installing the firmware.
Step 10: After the firmware is installed, a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the top of Odin. Galaxy S4 will then reboot to the Home screen. It is now safe to disconnect the USB cable and remove the phone from computer.
Galaxy S4 LTE is now running I9505XXUENA4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware. Head over to Settings >> About Phone to verify the firmware installed on the device.
Note: If Galaxy S4 I9505 is stuck at boot animation after Step 10 then boot into recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before choosing Reboot System Now option. In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the option. Please note that performing data wipe task will erase your device's internal memory and not external SD card data.
Those who have already updated their device to the latest official Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.3 I9505XXUENA4, can now root the same using CF-Auto-Root package via Odin flash tool. Check out our step-by-step guide to root I9505XXUENA4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware on Galaxy S4 LTE below.
Steps to Root Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 Running on Android 4.3 XXUENA4 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract CF-Auto-Root and Odin 3.07 files using WinRAR/7-Zip orWinZip.
Step 2: Power off the Galaxy S4. Now boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Homeand Powerbuttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then tap Power button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 3: Open Odin on computer as an Administrator.
Step 4: Connect Galaxy S4 LTE to computer via USB cable in Download Mode. Wait for the device to get recognised in Odin. When the device connects successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number along with a message saying Added.
Note: If the Added message fails to appear, then try re-installing USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 5: In Odin, tap PDAbutton and choose CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip file.
Step 6: Ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected in Odin. But, the Re-Partition option must be unchecked.
Step 7: Verify Step 5 and Step 6, and then hit Start button in Odin to begin the root installation process.
Step 8: After installing the root, your Galaxy S4 LTE will reboot and soon you will see a PASS message with green background in the top left-most box in Odin. It is now safe to disconnect the USB cable and remove the device from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE is now rooted on Android 4.3 I9505XXUENA4 Jelly Bean official firmware. It is now possible to install any app requiring root permission. Verify the root status of your phone by downloading and installing Root Checker app from Google Play Store.