The latest custom build of Dirty Unicorns featuring Android 4.4.4 adds support for both the LTE and 3G version of Galaxy S4 Mini with model numbers GT-I9195 and GT-I9190 respectively.
Dirty Unicorns ROM is a stable custom firmware and has optional customisations. It supports a number of high-end devices such as HTC One, Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4. Additionally, it offers numerous customisations and features.
Dirty Unicorns features
- Theme chooser
- Heads up
- Built-in ad blocker (able to update hosts on the fly)
- Ability to disable FC notifications
- Enable pointer/user microphone options (screen record)
- Download Center (Gapps, Xposed, etc)
- Ability to force Expanded Notifications
- Over 100 cloud based wallpapers
- Facebook Sync Hack
- Immersive mode
- Hot Reboot In Power Menu
- Appbar (app sidebar)
- Customizable Quick Settings
- Customizable power menu
- Customizable lockscreen shortcuts
- App Ops access in Settings
- TRDS (built in theme in settings)
- Statusbar Clock options
- NavBar Options
- Halo (multi-tasking tool)
- Halo size/color changer
- Hardware key remap mod (only for HW button devices)
- Battery Bar / Circle batteries
- Network speed indicators in statusbar
- SuperSU (chainfire)
- Build.prop mods
- Init.d Tweaks
- Active Display (Moto X notifications)
- ListView Animations
- Custom System Animations
- Toast Animations
- Custom BusyDialog
- Advanced Low Battery Indicator options
- ScreenShot QuickTrash
- Color Changing PhaseBeam
- Gesture Anywhere
- Button Light Notification
- Statusbar Color options
- OmniSwitch (multi-tasking tool)
- Driving Mode
- Lockscreen theme options
- Lockscreen notifications / options
- System App Remover
- Suspend Actions
- Wakelock Actions
- SlimROM based recents
- Contextual notification panel headers
- SlimROMs privacy guard
- Blacklist calls/sms
Head over to the development thread to know more about the ROM.
Interested users, who wish to experience the customised features of Dirty Unicorns ROM along with Android 4.4.4 on their Galaxy S4 Mini, may follow the installation guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before following the installation guide, users are advised to verify their devices meet the following requirements.
- Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 Mini to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options then check USB Debugging.]
- As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device has any custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or, TWRP then back up data using the same.
- If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 Mini should have above 80% battery charge.
- The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of recovery installed.
- The Dirty Unicorns custom build works only with Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195/I9190. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on the booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install Android 4.4.4 on Galaxy S4 Mini I9195/I9190 with Dirty Unicorns ROM
Step-1: Connect and mount the Galaxy S4 Mini USB memory on the computer with USB cable. Copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Ensure the file is in the SD card root not in any folder
Step-2: Disconnect the phone from the computer and switch it off
Step-3: Enter into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-4: Create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM, which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or if you wish to go back to the previous ROM. Select backup and restore, name the file and confirm the process. Go back to main recovery menu when the backup is completed
Step-5: Perform a data wipe by selecting wipe data/factory reset. Use the Power button to select everything while in recovery mode
Step-6: Do a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-7: Perform wipe of dalvik cache. This is optional but users are recommended to do this so the device will not get into bootloops or any other error. From CWM recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-8: Install Dirty Unicorn ROM on Galaxy S4 Mini. Select install zip from sdcard >>choose zip from sdcard. Now browse to the location where the custom ROM is saved, select it and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-9: When the ROM is installed, repeat the same procedure to flash Gapps file
Step-10: After the installation process is completed, go to "+++++Go Back++++" and reboot the phone into normal mode by selecting reboot system now. The phone should boot now and might take a few minutes to boot on the first time.
The Galaxy S4 Mini should now be updated with Dirty Unicorns ROM based on Android 4.4.4 firmware. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version.
[Source: Team Android]