Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v GT-P7100 users can now enjoy the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean features on their tablet, with due credit to the newly released CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) Nightly ROM from the CyanogenMod team. The CM10.1 ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP), designed to deliver greater performance and reliability than stock Android.
Key Points to Note
- The CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Tab 10.1v GT-P7100 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet including contacts, messages, photos, videos, MMS, APNs and other internet settings to avoid data loss while performing necessary data wipe task during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure both the device's carrier and bootloader are unlocked to prevent conflicts during firmware installation, as well as enable rooting (Super User access) in the future.
- Verify if the correct USB drivers are installed for the tablet on computer (download Galaxy Tab 10.1v P7100 USB drivers)
- If the device is stuck at boot animation (Samsung logo) or facing boot loop issues after the firmware installation, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before working on it.
- If "Status 7" error message appears on screen, it could be due to an incompatible device or a necessary kernel might be missing (for instance, it is imperative to install the base Jelly Bean Kernel first before installing any Jelly Bean ROM)
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Tab 10.1v GT-P7100 via CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM
Step 1: Download the necessary CM10.1 Nightly Build ROM for Galaxy Tab 10.1v P7100 and Google Apps zip files on the computer.
Step 2: Connect and mount the tablet's storage on computer via USB cable.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the tablet's SD card.
Step 4: Once the file transfer process completes, disconnect the USB cable from computer and Power off the tablet.
Step 5: Boot the tablet into recovery mode. To do so, first Power off the device and boot it into bootloader. Once the device enters bootloader, use Volume Keys to enter Recovery Mode and Power key to select the appropriate option.
Step 6: Take a Nandroid Backup of the existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
Step 7: It is imperative to do a data wipe task to eliminate conflicts between original and newly installed ROM, as well as avoid ROM related errors. To do so, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until the wipe process completes, then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to complete the data wiping task. Wait until the entire wiping process completes and then proceed to the next step.
Step 8: Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, browse to the cm-10.1-20130517-NIGHTLY-p3.zip file copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen by choosing Yes and the installation process should begin.
Step 9: After the ROM installation completes, repeat the step 8 but choose gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
Step 10: Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, just return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now. The tablet will now reboot into the newly installed ROM. The first boot should normally take about 5 minutes to complete or in the rare case extend up to 15 minutes. So, please be patient.
Returning to Previous ROM: To return to the previous ROM: boot the tablet into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
Your Galaxy Tab 10.1v GT-P7100 is now updated to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 Nightly ROM. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware update.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]