Samsung have yet to confirm an Android Jelly Bean upgrade for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (list of Galaxy devices scheduled for the update). However, external developer D2dyno has released a CyanogenMod10.1 (CM10) file for all variants of the tablet. The custom ROM brings the Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) update; the file is still in development, so bugs are likely.
Owners of a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (3G; P7500) looking to update to Jelly Bean may follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during this procedure. We warn readers installing this file on non-compatible devices may cause bricking.
- Ensure download and installation of USB drivers and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure back-up of important data
- Ensure device is rooted and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery is installed (this is necessary to install a custom ROM, which may not work with TWRP recovery)
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
- Ensure device is factory unlocked
To Install CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) ROM on Galaxy Tab 10.1 (P7500)
- DownloadCM10.1 Android 4.2.1 ROMto computer (alternatelink)
- DownloadGoogle appspackage
- Connect device to computer with USB cable and copy downloaded files to SD card, without extracting contents
- Disconnect device and switch it off
- Re-start in Recovery (to do so, press and hold Power and Volume Up till Galaxy Tab 10.1 logo appears and then release Power while holding Volume Up for a few more seconds)
- In Recovery, perform Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup and return to main Recovery menu after action is completed)
- In recovery, perform data wipe (to do so, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes and return to main Recovery menu after action is completed)
- Select Install Zip from SD Card and then select Choose Zip from SD Card. Navigate to downloaded ROM and press Power to select and confirm installation
- After installation, repeat selection process to install apps package
- After installation, repeat data wipe
- In recovery, select Reboot System Now (first reboot may take some time)
The CM10.1 custom ROM, featuring Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean), has now been installed on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (P7500). Navigate to Settings > About Tablet to verify software on device.
[Source: Android Jinn]