We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Close on the heels of Galaxy Tab 2 P5100 and P5110, the P5113 (Wi-Fi only) variant also gets its latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update with CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) ROM through an experimental release. The custom ROM is still under early developmental stages and hence may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features onboard.
Nevertheless, discerning users who wish to try out the latest CM10.1 experimental (nightly) ROM with Android 4.2.1 update on their tablets may proceed with our step-by-step guide provided below. As the ROM is a nightly build, it may be afflicted with FC errors, boot loops and other issues. Users are strongly advised to backup their data and reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM if they face any technical issues.
Disclaimer: The software and instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and will not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 custom firmware. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
The CM10.1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113 (Wi-Fi model) only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
Make sure that you do a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the CM10.1 ROM, as it is a custom firmware release.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy Tab 2 on the computer to enable proper USB connectivity between the devices. Download Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 USB drivers
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss while installing the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update on their Galaxy Tab 2.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options. NOTE:Users who are updating from Android 4.2 to the new Android 4.2.1 should enable USB debugging mode as follows:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet
- Browse to the bottom of the options screen and select Build Number. Now, tap the Build Number about seven times.
- When you make the third tap, a dialogue box pops up saying you are just four taps away from accessing developer options. Continue tapping four more times to open the hidden developer options.
- Ensure that your tablet battery has at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing CM10.1 ROM on your Galaxy Tab 2.
- Make sure that your tablet is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) preinstalled on it.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113 (Wi-Fi) to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean with CM10.1 ROM
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy Tab 2 P5113 USB mass storage on your computer with the original USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.2.1 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your tablet.
Step 4 - Then power off the tablet and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Now, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device boots into CWM Recovery Mode.
Step 6 - In CWM Recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit the Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Now, use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.2.1 ROM zip file that you copied to your tablet earlier and select it by pressing the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation should begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit Go Back and reboot the tablet by clicking Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The tablet will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is now successfully updated to CM10.1 based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]