We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
An official software update, Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with base firmware XXCMA4, has been released for the international 3G + Wi-Fi version of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with model number P3100. The XXCMA4 build is an unbranded version of firmware and can be grabbed through the Samsung KIES server. Users from supported regions install the update using Odin.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: February, 2013
Galaxy Tab users who have already installed Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 Jelly Bean on their tablets may follow our step-by-step guide to root the same. The tutorial uses CF-Auto-Root files by recognised XDA developer, Chainfire.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the Galaxy tablet, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup the data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy Tab should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked.
6) The tablet will lose its manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. But users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the device later.
7) The CF-Auto-Root file works only on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by selecting Settings>> About tablet>> Model number.
Steps to root Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100
Step-1: Download CF-Auto-Root package for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded root zip file to get a file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-3: Download Odin 3.07 and extract the zip
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy tablet and now place the device in Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together. A warning message will appear on the screen of the device, after which press the Volume Down button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-5: Run Odin on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy Tab to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the tablet. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port located at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to detect the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: In Odin, click the PDA button and select CF-Auto-Root-espressorf-espressorfxx-gtp3100.tar.md5 file
Step-8: Ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. But uncheck the Re-Partition option
Step-9: Click the Start button in Odin to begin installation
Step-10: Once the flashing process is completed, the tablet will restart automatically. And soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme-left box at the top of Odin. When the home screen is seen on the screen of the device, unplug the USB cable from the tablet to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running on official Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 Jelly Bean should now be rooted successfully. Users may now install any app that requires root permission.
[Source: Honai of Android]