Samsung recently released the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 with model number GT-P6800 which was running on Android Ice Cream Sandwich. The long-awaited Jelly Bean update brings a host of new features for the Galaxy tablet.
Android 4.1.2 features
New Nature TouchWiz UX
Smoother UI (Project Butter)
New Samsung Cloud Service
Readers Hub, Music Hub, Video Hub and Group Cast
New widgets such as AccuWeather and Music Hub
Galaxy Tab 7.7 users who have already updated their tablets to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and are currently looking for a root method may follow our step-by-step guide. The tutorial also installs ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) in the tablet.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their tablets meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As this tutorial might wipe out all data of the tablet, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy tablet should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
6) The tablet will lose its manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. However, users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting it later.
7) The root file as well as the CWM recovery files work only on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800. As applying these on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About tablet>> Model number.
Files required to download
Download ClockworkMod recovery package: CWM-220.127.116.11-P6800.tar
Download root package: SuperSU-v1.25+.zip
Steps to install CWM recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800
Step-1: Power off the Galaxy Tab 7.7. Then boot the tablet into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together for two to three seconds. A warning screen will appear. Now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-2: Open Odin folder and launch the programme by double clicking on the .exe file
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy tablet to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the tablet is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin.
Step-4: In Odin, click the PDA button and select CWM-18.104.22.168-p6800.tar file
Step-5: Verify that the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin
Step-6: Finally hit the Start button in Odin to begin the installation. Wait until the installation process to complete
Step-7: Upon completion of the installation, a PASS message will appear on Odin. The tablet will then reboot automatically
The CWM recovery should be now installed on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800
Step-1: Copy the SuperSU-v1.25+.zip downloaded earlier to the SD card of the tablet
Step-2: Turn off the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and boot it into Recovery Mode. Press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons together until the screen flashes and the Samsung logo is seen. Now release the Power button while holding the Volume Up button until a menu with several options on the screen appears
Note: In recovery mode use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-3: Scroll down to install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Then navigate to the SuperSU zip file saved on the SD card of the tablet
Step-4: Press the Power button to select the SuperSU file and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen
Step-5: When the installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 should now be rooted successfully on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with CWM recovery installed. Open the app drawer of the Galaxy tablet and look for an app called SuperSU. Verify the root status of the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
[Source: Droid Views]