Samsung recently released its latest official Jelly Bean update, Android 4.1.2 XXAME1, for Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 in several countries including Poland, Greece, Baltic and Bulgaria. The firmware is now available for download via Samsung KIES as well as Over-The-Air (OTA) in select European countries only. However, those who failed to receive the OTA update notification or unable to access the update over Samsung KIES can download and install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide.
Android 4.1.2 XXAME1 Jelly Bean Firmware Details:
Date: May, 2013
Key Points to Note
- XXAME1 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation, as this may inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 USB drivers).
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- As this is an official release, ensure that the device is not rooted (download Root Checker app). Unroot the device first (if it is already rooted), before proceeding with the firmware installation.
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) with CWM recovery installed on it.
- If "MD5 hash value is invalid"error message appears in Odin message box, then just re-download the firmware.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXAME1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Grand Duos I9082
Step 1: Download Android 4.1.2 XXAME1 Jelly Bean Official firmware for Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 and Odin v3.07 on your computer.
Step 2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a '.tar.md5'file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now, boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you obtained in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the phone to computer via USB cable. When the phone is connected successfully, Odin's message box says "Added!" in the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear, then try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of your desktop computer). If all else fails, just reinstall the phone's USB drivers on computer. Once the "Added!!" message appears in Odin, you can proceed to the next step. At this point, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number suggesting that the device is added successfully.
Step 7: Choose the following files from I9100DXLSD folder that you extracted in Step 2 using respective checkbox options:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the file named'.tar.md5'(required)
- Choose the Phone checkbox, and select the file named'modem'(ignore if the file is not found in the extracted folder)
- Click the CSC checkbox, and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore if the file is missing)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and click the .pit file. (ignore if there is no such file)
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the respective checkboxes. But, ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is chosen, only if a .pit file is added in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 9: Verify if Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
Step 10: Once the firmware installation is complete, your phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, safely unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 is now running on Android 4.1.2 XXAME1 Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware update installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 10, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before tapping reboot system now. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing a data wiping task will only erase the phone's internal memory data, but not the contents of SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]